What the hell is it with us and “busy”? We all have it, everyone says they don’t want it and yet, here we go cramming our lives to the top! I have so many clients that ask for help with their scheduling or organization of their lives and 9 times out of 10 it has NOTHING to do with the scheduling, the paper or the mess and everything to do with our attitudes.
If you are finding you are constantly busy and want something different, take a look at some of the ways to ending the madness:
- Appreciate that busy is a choice. Yep, it’s a choice and you can choose differently. Our schedules are arranged by us for us and for the ones we love. If you are filling your life with things you don’t love, look at that. If you are filling it with things you love, look at that.
- Clean up your environment. If you are walking into a bomb every time you step into your house, even if you aren’t actually busy in your timing, you might be scattered by the chaos around you. Get your family on board and attack the areas that will bring you the most peace in your day to day life. Once you have done it, put something beautiful in the space – a photo you love, a vase of fresh flowers, a gorgeous candle and let it be a reminder to keep it clean and the peace that it brings you.
- CUT it out! Where can you cut some crap out of your day? Stop a volunteer position that doesn’t fulfill you, do laundry only once a week, car pool with another mom to dance class, get your partner to make dinner twice a week.
- Watch your language. Stop saying how busy you are. We get it, you’re important, you’re needed, you’re super woman. When you glorify busy, you make the rest of us glorify busy and then we in turn glorify busy and the cycle continues. Stop the madness and let’s start being vulnerable and letting people in to our lives that does not glorify our busyness.
- Fun is #1. Yep, top priority. Fun. Make it part of EVERYDAY! Have a dance party when you get home, take a walk over your lunch break, spend 15 minutes knitting, enjoy a glass of wine in your backyard, get on the floor with the kids and build a castle of blocks.
- Make your top priority being present in everything you do. Put your phone down, let voicemail answer your phone, take a breath and ground yourself when you find yourself running in a million directions.
- When you wake up in the morning, check in with yourself. Ask yourself what % you are at. If you are high, you have the availability to give and give. If your # is mid-range, you can give, but make sure you take time to receive, if your # is low, you have no business taking from a dry well and you need to take care of yourself first and only do the bare minimum required. You’re levels on a daily basis help you check in for the day and if you start noticing your levels at telling you more about your life, it might be time to really look at what you have going on.